There are still a few weeks left this summer, and it’s not too late to pack your bags and embark on a summer adventure. August is usually the hottest month of the year making it the perfect time to go camping, hiking, surfing, scuba diving, you name it! Whether you prefer your adventures to be wet or dry, August pretty much ensures warm weather and ideal adventure conditions.
Many parts of the country remain warm into September and October. If you want to visit some of the northern parts of the USA, any part of Canada, or if you want to see some fall foliage – September and October offer the perfect mix of nice weather and beautiful scenery – before the weather starts getting too cold.
There are all sorts of products that have hit the market in recent years to make your extreme adventure trips that much more memorable and exciting. Whether you want protection from the elements, a way to document your travels, or a portable way to stay connected to your family and friends back home, there is definitely a gadget out there for you.
1. Eton FRX2 – The question is not what CAN this device do for you, but what CAN’T it do? With a solar panel, an electricity-generating hand crank, and a rechargeable battery, charging your phone or tablet out in the wilderness has never been easier. Jam out to AM, FM, or NOAA weather band radio stations from the built-in speaker, or plug in headphones if you want to keep the tunes to yourself. The FRX2 has a built in flashlight to help you navigate the campsite at night, and has a glow-in-the-dark locator so you can find it from anywhere.
2. SPOT Connect – Having trouble finding service in the middle of nowhere? Whether you need to call for help, or if you just can’t wait to post that awesome photo you just took, the SPOT Connect will link your phone to communication satellites and allow you to access social media, send emails and texts, and contact authorities in case of an emergency.
3. Waterproof Bags – If you are going to be anywhere near water, or if there is any chance of rain, it is probably a smart idea to bring waterproof bags. Nobody likes to hike in wet socks, nobody wants to sleep in a cold, wet sleeping bag, and nobody wants their electronics to go for a swim.
4. Rugged Smartphone – Cell phones have come such a long way since the fragile, expensive models of yesteryear. verykool’s RS75 is a rugged, unlocked Android phone that does not require a contract. It is waterproof and dustproof meaning that it can stand up to your most extreme adventures. Being an unlocked, no contract phone means you can take it anywhere in the world and you won’t have to pay for pre-installed features you never use.
5. HD Camera – Some adventures are so memorable that you want to share the experience with everyone. Liquid Image’s 727-The Ego is a Wifi-enabled, mountable camera that connects to your smartphone and will allow you to take photos and video. From your smartphone app you can control the camera, live stream your video, or view photos and videos on the screen.
The gadgets and devices discussed here are just a few of the many available out there. What other products would you recommend for people’s next adventure? Please leave a comment below!